Re: backup.sgml WIP (patch included)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: backup.sgml WIP (patch included)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 06/02/2015 01:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> A change I did not make per Craig Ringer (and plenty of other people through
>> the years):
>>
>> "Instead we should be advising people to use pg_dump -Fc and pg_restore as
>> their default and primary method of dumping a database. It is rarely
>> desirable to use text dumps and if pg_dump was being written now, it'd
>> surely default to -Fc ."
>>
>> I think we really need to think about this.
>
> Yeah, this makes sense, except that if you want parallel dump (and many
> people do) you need -Fd.

Oh agreed there. I do say in the current patch:

The pg_dump application provides other formats. The most notable are the
use of -F c or -F d. The use of the custom format (-F c) is an excellent
option for smaller databases when you need fine grained control of the
objects you chose to restore. The use of the directory format (-F d)
allows for parallel connection based backups. If you are performing a
backup with many objects and using pg_dump then the directory format
will be the most efficient. This option also allows for fine grained
control of the objects you chose to restore. Further, the use of the
custom or directory pg_dump formats requires the use of pg_restore and
will not work with psql. There is more information on using pg_restore
in section Section 24.1.3.

JD