Re: Sourceforge

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Sourceforge
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/29/2015 06:43 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 10:21 PM, Jason Petersen wrote:
>>> On May 28, 2015, at 7:08 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have legal ability to restrict them period. We are BSD
>>> licensed. The best we can do is put up a PSA.
>>
>> Today a coworker mused whether we could issue a C&D for misuse of
>> trademark if it comes to that. Maybe?
>
> Maybe. There is a postgresql trademark but.... the ability to enforce it
> as it has never been enforced would be a bit tough.

Theoretically we could do so if they were using the PostgreSQL trademark
to distribute something which "wasn't PostgreSQL".  However, since we've
never engaged in such an enforcement action before, we would only want
to do so if there was clear harm to our users and our reputation.  Which
is completely lacking here.

If you ignore the issues with WinGimp, SF.net is providing us a service:
a free mirror which a handful of people use.  I imagine they would be
flabbergasted to receive a nastygram from an attorney over it, and I
really don't see the benefit from doing so to our commmunity.

We have lots of companies who distribute Postgres, some bundled with
commercial and proprietary software.  It's a big part of how our project
supporters make money.  As long as nobody's being decieved, there is no
cause of action.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.