Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/27/2015 07:02 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> JD,
>
>> As it is currently an extension, it does not need to be in core. If
>> this extension reaches a point where it needs to be in core to
>> achieve some level of integration not currently provided then we can
>> evaluate that problem. Currently, that is not the case.
>
> This simply doesn't make sense- all extensions can hook into the backend
> in the same way,

That is exactly my point.

> regardless of if they are included in the main git repo
> or not.  Being in the repo represents the support of the overall
> community and PGDG, which is, understandably in my view, highly valuable
> to the organizations which look to PostgreSQL as an open source
> solution for their needs.

I can't get behind this. Yes, there is a mysticism about the "core"
support of modules but it is just that "mysticism". People are going to
run what the experts tell them to run. If pg_audit is that good the
experts will tell people to use it...

Just look at your own experience with pgBackrest. I am aware that
pgBackrest is not an extension but it is a relatively new open source
project that is gaining community based on its quality and contribution.
It is arguably the best backup software available for Pg. It is not in
core, it is not shipped with core.

Your extension could be the best audit software available for Pg. It is
not in core, because we don't need it to be. (slogan)

JD