Re: Style of file error messages

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Style of file error messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Just to get an opinion, which is better:
> could not open whatever file "%s": %m
> or just:
> could not open file "%s": %m

> It seems to me that by the time you get to a file error message of this
> level, the higher-level purpose of the file is pretty irrelevant.

I like the more verbose variant myself, and would argue that indeed our
message style guidelines mandate it:
45.3.9. Type of the object
When citing the name of an object, state what kind of object it is.
Rationale: Otherwise no one will know what "foo.bar.baz" refers to.

A seasoned developer might only need the file name to guess what kind of
file it is, but other people could probably use the help.

Сообщение: Re: Ye olde drop-the-database-you-just-left problem
Сообщение: Re: Ye olde drop-the-database-you-just-left problem