Re: Statements with syntax errors are not logged

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Statements with syntax errors are not logged
Дата
Re: Statements with syntax errors are not logged  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
>> Then it should be changed to log *only* successfully executed statements
>> and explicitly documented as such.

> Well, maybe we should do that.

I fooled around with doing that, and while it's a simple code change,
I realized that it's got a fairly serious drawback: if you get an error
in a parameterized query, there's no way at all to find out via logging
what the parameters were that it failed on.  That seems to negate one
of the main uses of the parameter-value-logging code that we put so much
work into in this cycle.

So I'm inclined to leave the behavior as-is.  The documentation for
log_statement already says
Note: Statements that generate syntax errors are not logged. Setlog_min_error_statement to error to log such
statements.

We could improve the wording here, perhaps, but ultimately this is a
documentation issue.