Re: PostgreSQL: the good, the bad, and the ugly

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL: the good, the bad, and the ugly
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/22/2015 10:02 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 05/21/2015 07:25 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 05/21/2015 09:33 AM, damien@dalibo.info wrote:
>>>
>>> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/645020/e1ba36cff8248df0/
>>>

>> Not sure I am seeing the news, seems to be typical development to and
>> fro. See JSONB in 9.4, removing implicit typing in 8.3, SELinux(name
>> your version), etc.
>
> FYI, the Linux geeks are very interested in PostgreSQL development,
> because our community is very similar to theirs in several ways.

I see that, no single company acting as a gatekeeper and dictating a
feature list and/or release schedule. It comes down to how many lines of
code can be written and reviewed in a given time period. In a perfect
world developers would know that before they started. In this imperfect
world there is a often a noticeable difference between what is expected
and what is actually done. This then leads to conflict as a schedule
date approaches(even a soft one) or the feature list grows. The conflict
revolves around who gets to make the decision about what lives or dies.
Two ways to deal, appoint a dictator to make the decisions or let the
developers hash it out. Appointing a dictator is a conflict in itself.
Having developers hash it out is messy, but more Open Source like. Not
sure there is a perfect method that keeps everybody happy.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com