Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/20/2015 01:20 AM, Volker Aßmann wrote:

So, in the interests of trying to get you to understand why your
proposal met with a negative response, and to improve future proposals:

> You don't seem to have much trust in your other authentication
> mechanisms and seem to know our environment quite well then...

PostgreSQL is a general-purpose database with millions of users.  As
such, features which are only useful in a specialized environment
receive far more scrutiny and pushback than feature proposals which are
obviously generally applicable.

As such, proposals are more likely to be successful if the proposer can
show how they apply to a general use case, or adapt them so that they
are useful to a large number of our users.  This means that "this works
in our environment which has conditions X, Y, and Z" is not an effective
argument, unless you can follow it up with "... and here's the reason
why [large class of users] also has conditions X, Y and Z."

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE/IGNORE 4.0
Сообщение: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE/IGNORE 4.0