Re: Change pg_cancel_*() to ignore current backend

От David Steele
Тема Re: Change pg_cancel_*() to ignore current backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/20/15 10:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
>> +1.  I agree that cancelling/killing your own process should not be the
>> default behavior.
>
> I think backwards compatibility probably trumps that argument.  I have
> no objection to providing a different call that behaves this way, but
> changing the behavior of existing applications will face a *much*
> higher barrier to acceptance.  Especially since a real use-case for
> the current behavior was shown upthread, which means you can't argue
> that it's simply a bug.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the argument for the default behavior is
coming from a hacker viewpoint rather than a user viewpoint.  I know
it's handy for testing but how many real-world scenarios are there?

I've recently jumped the fence after being strictly a user for sixteen
years so that's still my default perspective.  I was definitely annoyed
when pg_stat_activity.pid changed in 9.2 but it was still the right
thing to do.

--
- David Steele
david@pgmasters.net