Re: a few thoughts on the schedule

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: a few thoughts on the schedule
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/18/2015 08:52 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

> Maybe we should forget them and just have monthly 'judgefests' where
> some poor sod summarizes the current state and direction, and we then
> collaboratively discuss whether we see things going anywhere and if not,
> what would need to happen that they do.  And have a policy that "older"
> patches should be preferred over newer ones; but at the same time cull
> patches continually sitting at the tail end as 'not interesting'.

I don't think this will be a productive solution. I would argue that any
solution we come up with, somebody is going to think they got the short
end of the stick. There will be someone that thinks it is inefficient,
that it doesn't suit their needs or that it doesn't work in their
paradigm. That is why we don't have a proper issue/bug tracker. That is
why we are constantly "inventing here" instead of relying on the work of
others (when it comes to this particular problem).

I don't know what the solution is but I know I like the idea of a tree
freeze except for bug fixes for at least 3 weeks but I would be jumping
for joy if we froze the tree except for bug fixes for 6 or 12 weeks.

I don't care about 9.6 at this point. We move so fast anyway, most
people I know haven't even migrated to 9.4.x and even more are happily
plugging away on 9.2.

Consider that yes, we have a ton of people that migrated to 9.4 but
those generally aren't people running the 24x7 enterprise class database.

It will not hurt us, and will only help us to slow down for this
release. If 9.6 gets pushed until Winter 2017, so what.

Let's release Alpha1, start promoting the heck out of it amongst the
community and early adopting (for NON PRODUCTION) developers. Let's make
it easy as snot dripping from a toddlers nose to submit bug reports.
Let's verify those things and let's produce the most solid, reliable and
bug free PostgreSQL version, ever.

The summer is nigh and it is going to be slow going anyway.

JD