Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
Дата
Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/18/2015 11:58 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> As you say, hstore isn't nested, and so this simply doesn't come up
> there. We have failed to adopt "||" to jsonb in a way that makes
> sense. We should have adopted it to jsonb in exactly the same way as
> the "@>" operator was.

OK, you've flagellated this deceased equine enough that I'm calling the
ASPCA.  I get that you're unhappy that we don't have deep append.
Everyone gets this.  I simply don't care; shallow append is better than
no append at all, and having shallow append does not block deep append
from happening in 9.6.

The only question worth discussing is whether we change the operator to
"+" (or, for that matter, something else).  I've seen your vote on this,
so, does anyone else have an opinion on "+" vs. "||"?  Preferably with a
justification with some kind of grounding?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.