Re: WALWriteLock contention

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: WALWriteLock contention
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/15/2015 09:06 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> 2. I don't really understand why WALWriteLock is set up to prohibit
> two backends from flushing WAL at the same time.  That seems
> unnecessary.  Suppose we've got two backends that flush WAL one after
> the other.  Assume (as is not unlikely) that the second one's flush
> position is ahead of the first one's flush position.  So the first one
> grabs WALWriteLock and does the flush, and then the second one grabs
> WALWriteLock for its turn to flush and has to wait for an entire spin
> of the platter to complete before its fsync() can be satisfied.  If
> we'd just let the second guy issue his fsync() right away, odds are
> good that the disk would have satisfied both in a single rotation.
> Now it's possible that the second request would've arrived too late
> for that to work out, but AFAICS in that case we're no worse off than
> we are now.  And if it does work out we're better off.  The only

This is a bit out of my depth but it sounds similar to (from a user
perspective) the difference between synchronous and asynchronous commit.
If we are willing to trust that PostgreSQL/OS will do what it is
supposed to do, then it seems logical that what you describe above would
definitely be a net win.

JD