Re: Comparing txid and xmin (under BDR)

От Peter Mogensen
Тема Re: Comparing txid and xmin (under BDR)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 2015-05-12 06:06, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 11 May 2015 at 21:10, Peter Mogensen <apm@one.com> wrote:
>

>> So ... I can easily get the current txid of the SELECT transaction by
>> calling txid_current().
>>
> Note that by doing so, you force txid allocation for a read-only query that
> might otherwise not need one, which increases your txid burn rate and
> decreases time until you need to do wraparound-protection vacuuming.

The same is not true for txid_snapshot_xmin() is it?

I mean ... I really don't need the actual txid of a SELECT statement.
Only to ensure that it's never than any invalidation event.
So it's enough to just use txid_snapshot_xmin() ... at the cost of
possibly not caching new values in a small window after invalidation.

/Peter