Re: initdb start server recommendation

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: initdb start server recommendation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05-05-2015 16:36, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> 1. I like copying and pasting the "postgres" line during development.
> That's not a reason to keep it, necessarily.

I prefer pg_ctl because of symmetry (start, stop, restart, reload and
even init).

> 2. If you're saying, most people shouldn't run postgres directly, then
> most people also shouldn't run initdb directly.  This message will
> mainly be seen either by developers or testers or tutorial users or
> do-it-yourselfers.  In which case knowing the functionality of the
> postgres program is valid.

I'm not saying to discourage postgres binary use. It has its merit and
utility. However, the information after initdb is for general users and
not developers/testers (because the latter know how to start the
service) -- that's my impression.

We have an utility that concentrate all of the necessary modes (even
init) to operate postgres service. Why not advocate it for general
users? pg_ctl sounds more natural for postgres administration. How do
you explain that you have to start the service with 'postgres' but stop
it with 'pg_ctl' ou even 'kill'?

> 3. It's not clear that pg_ctl is necessarily the best way to start the
> server.  With things like systemd, launchd, supervisord that like to
> manage the daemons directly, using postgres directly might be the
> preferable choice.

Agree. However, I'm saying that _general users_ (those that don't use OS
init interface) tend to prefer 'pg_ctl' to 'postgres'.

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Auditing extension for PostgreSQL (Take 2)
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Fixing busted citext function declarations