Re: CTE optimization fence on the todo list?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: CTE optimization fence on the todo list?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/3/15 11:59 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 05/03/2015 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> This could be a very bad, almost impossible to catch, behaviour break.
>>> Even if we add the GUC, we're probably going to be imposing very
>>> significant code audit costs on some users.
>> On what grounds do you claim it'd be a behavior break?  It's possible
>> that the subquery flattening would result in less-desirable plans not
>> more-desirable ones, but the results should still be correct.
>
> I meant w.r.t. performance. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

To put this in perspective... I've seen things like this take query
runtime from minutes to multiple hours or worse; bad enough that
"behavior break" becomes a valid description.

We definitely need to highlight this in the release notes, and I think
the GUC would be mandatory.