Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> [ about micro commits ]
> (As a side benefit, if one of my little micro-commits turns out to
> have a bug, you can easily revert *just that commit*, without having
> to manually sort out exactly which pieces related to that change.)

I don't actually have a lot of faith in such an approach.  My experience
is that bugs arise from unforeseen interactions of changes, and that
"backing out just one" isn't a useful thing to do, even if none of the
later parts of the patch directly depend on it.

So, yeah, presenting a patch as a series of edits can be useful for
review purposes, but I'm not at all excited about cluttering the
long-term project history with a zillion micro-commits.  One of the
things I find most annoying about reviewing the current commit history
is that Bruce has taken a micro-commit approach to managing the TODO
list --- I was seldom so happy as the day that disappeared from CVS,
because of the ensuing reduction in noise level.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up