Re: PostgreSQL HA config recommendations

От Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
Тема Re: PostgreSQL HA config recommendations
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL HA config recommendations  (William Dunn <dunnwjr@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
 > WAN delays can cause problems for any replication system; you just have
 > to be aware of that and not push things too hard (or try and violate the
 > laws of physics). For example, streaming replication set to be
 > synchronous crossing the planet is something you'd probably be rather
 > unhappy with. :)

In my experience streaming replication fits most use cases due to
inherent its simplicity and robustness, but you might need to adjust
your software design to get the best out of it.

More specifically, latency issues can be heavily mitigated by having
application software commit no more than one transaction per user
operation, provided 1 x "master<->sync_slave round trip time" is
acceptable delay when they submit forms or the like.

It can get much worse if the application server is on a different
geographical node than the DB master. In such case it is realistically
beneficial to batch multiple write operations in a single STATEMENT instead.
If the replication synchronous slave is on yet another node, the best
case (single statement) scenario would be 2 x round trip time. This
configuration is more common than you might think as some setups feature
remote app servers reading off synchronous slaves at their own physical
location but committing against a master that is somewhere else.

Cheers