Re: pgsql-server/src/makefiles Makefile.linux

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql-server/src/makefiles Makefile.linux
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> I'm not actually convinced that Sparc has a real need for -fPIC, either,
>> since Lamar could not reproduce Tom's problem, and the GOT sizes I can
>> measure on x86 are an order of magnitude smaller than the Sparc limit.
>> I pushed out the change quickly because of the impending 7.3.3 deadline,
>> but I'm more than half inclined to revert it.

> If we don't have reproduceable evidence then we shouldn't play around with
> these things in a minor release.

<shrug> It's not like using -fPIC instead of -fpic could have any worse
consequences than losing a little performance.  And Callaway's word does
carry some weight with me.  I plan to bug him further about what problem
he actually saw before making a decision.