Re: alternative compression algorithms?

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: alternative compression algorithms?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 04/29/15 23:54, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Sure, it's not an ultimate solution, but it might help a bit. I do have
>> other ideas how to optimize this, but in the planner every milisecond
>> counts. Looking at 'perf top' and seeing pglz_decompress() in top 3.
>
> I suggested years ago that we should not compress data in
> pg_statistic.  Tom shot that down, but I don't understand why.  It
> seems to me that when we know data is extremely frequently accessed,
> storing it uncompressed makes sense.

I'm not convinced not compressing the data is a good idea - it suspect
it would only move the time to TOAST, increase memory pressure (in
general and in shared buffers). But I think that using a more efficient
compression algorithm would help a lot.

For example, when profiling the multivariate stats patch (with multiple
quite large histograms), the pglz_decompress is #1 in the profile,
occupying more than 30% of the time. After replacing it with the lz4,
the data are bit larger, but it drops to ~0.25% in the profile and
planning the drops proportionally.

It's not a silver bullet, but it would help a lot in those cases.