Re: BDR Selective Replication

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: BDR Selective Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/29/15 1:38 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>     Perhaps... different replication systems probably use different
>     methods to identify, so presumably there'd need to be some way to
>     map a generic identifier into an appropriate identifier for whatever
>     replication system you're using.
>

> Replication identifiers do just that: provide a way to map identifiers
> from some external system into a local unique identifier for a peer
> node, along with tracking of the replay position from the peer so replay
> can be restarted at a consistent point. The replay position is an LSN,
> so they're not going to work for any arbitrary system, though.

Which may not work for something meant to work with different
replication systems...

>     You'd want a way to define different sets and associate them with
>     nodes. A node could be a provider, subscriber, or both. I think some
>     replication systems support 'pass through' as well, where the node
>     passes data downstream but doesn't apply it itself. Or it could be
>     multi-master and possibly a provider to read-only subscribers.
>

> Yeah, you're talking about some kind of abstract modelling of a
> replication topology. I'm not sure that's at all necessary to keep track
> of which tables should be replicated to which nodes.

I'd think that you'd still need to know if a table is a provider or
subscriber regardless of topology; how else will you know how to add it?

As for the topology part, yes, perhaps that's more than the baseline
case. It might be enough of a win to just deal with tables and sets to
not worry about it.

I originally had this idea when dealing with a number of londiste
clusters and wishing I had something better than "Run this SELECT and
paste the output to the command line" to deal with adding newly created
tables. It seemed likely that a more generic system should also be
pretty easy to allow plugging into different replication systems;
there'd just need to be a different layer that translated definition
into actual replication commands. Then the only thing missing would be
defining what sets lived where; that would allow the generic system at
least define almost every aspect of a replication environment. Maybe
that's too ambitious; the first step would be to try just what tables
are in which set and see how that goes.