Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 4B row limit for CLOB tables

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 4B row limit for CLOB tables
Дата
Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 4B row limit for CLOB tables  (Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8Kdata.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/24/15 7:11 PM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
> On 24/04/15 05:24, Tom Lane wrote:
>> TBH, I've got very little enthusiasm for fixing this given the number
>> of reports of trouble from the field, which so far as I recall is zero.
>> Álvaro's case came up through intentionally trying to create an
>> unreasonable number of tables, not from real usage.  This thread likewise
>> appears to contain lots of speculation and no reports of anyone hitting
>> a problem in practice.
>
>      It is certainly true that this was a very synthetic case. I
> envision, however, certain use cases where we may hit a very large
> number of tables:

The original case has NOTHING to do with the number of tables and
everything to do with the number of toasted values a table can have. If
you have to toast 4B attributes in a single relation it will fail. In
reality, if you get anywhere close to that things will fall apart due to
OID conflicts.

This case isn't nearly as insane as 4B tables. A table storing 10 text
fields each of which is 2K would hit this limit with only 400M rows. If
my math is right that's only 8TB; certainly not anything insane
space-wise or rowcount-wise.

Perhaps it's still not fixing, but I think it's definitely worth
documenting.