Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/21/15 3:21 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's possible that we could use this infrastructure to freeze more
> aggressively in other circumstances.  For example, perhaps VACUUM
> should freeze any page it intends to mark all-visible.  That's not a
> guaranteed win, because it might increase WAL volume: setting a page
> all-visible does not emit an FPI for that page, but freezing any tuple
> on it would, if the page hasn't otherwise been modified since the last
> checkpoint.  Even if that were no issue, the freezing itself must be
> WAL-logged.  But if we could somehow get to a place where all-visible
> => frozen, then autovacuum would never need to visit all-visible
> pages, a huge win.

I don't know how bad the extra WAL traffic would be; we'd obviously need
to incur it eventually, so it's a question of how common it is for a
page to go all-visible but then go not-all-visible again before
freezing. It would presumably be far more traffic than some form of a
FrozenMap though...

> We could also attack the problem from the other end.  Instead of
> trying to set the bits on the individual tuples, we could decide that
> whenever a page is marked all-visible, we regard it as frozen
> regardless of the bits set or not set on the individual tuples.
> Anybody who wants to modify the page must freeze any unfrozen tuples
> "for real" before clearing the visibility map bit.  This would have
> the same end result as the previous idea: all-visible would
> essentially imply frozen, and autovacuum could ignore those pages
> categorically.

Pushing what's currently background work onto foreground processes
doesn't seem like a good idea...

> I'm not saying those ideas don't have problems, because they do.  But
> I think they are worth further exploring.  The main reason I gave up
> on that is because Heikki was working on the XID-to-LSN mapping stuff.
> That seemed like a better approach than either of the above, so as
> long as Heikki was working on that, there wasn't much reason to pursue
> more lowbrow approaches.  Clearly, though, we need to do something
> about this.  Freezing is a big problem for lots of users.

Did XID-LSN die? I see at the bottom of the thread it was returned with
feedback; I guess Heikki just hasn't had time and there's no major
blockers? From what I remember this is probably a better solution, but
if it's not going to make it into 9.6 then we should probably at least
look further into a FM.

> All that having been said, I don't think adding a new fork is a good
> approach.  We already have problems pretty commonly where our
> customers complain about running out of inodes.  Adding another fork
> for every table would exacerbate that problem considerably.

Andres idea of adding this to the VM may work well to handle that. It
would double the size of the VM, but it would still be a ratio of
32,000-1 compared to heap size, or 2MB for a 64GB table.