Re: Problem in running PostgreSQL

От s0lao@netscape.net (S. L.)
Тема Re: Problem in running PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
[...]
But if I copy this minimal setup to a system without a Cygwin installation, there is a problem.
[...]

Copying a minimal cygwin installation is not enough. There are also several things to do (to have a functional copy):
1. to copy (at least system) registry settings cygwin uses. The mount information is stored there.
2. to reproduce the environment. If you are not a *nix wizard, "cloning" is the best choice (i.e. identically
reproducingenvironment variables and related files that help in their definition -- /etc/passwd, /etc/group, etc.).

[...]
I am able to start the PostgreSQL server. When I try to connect to the database using psql as a user of the database,
theserver processes get killed and the database crashes. I login a a user who is different from the user that created
thedatabase. When I check the logs, I see that it it because of the shm_get call (shared memory call). I tried to tweek
theparameters, but in vain. I suspect there is a problem in the users.
[...]

Continuing the above, when cloning the environment there are also some aspects user related.
On a win9x machine, a simple copy is enough, but for network purposes, is also necessary to login to windows as a valid
"/etc/passwd"user.
On a NT/W2K/XP machine things come more complicated, as there is a real user database, and there are some file
restrictionsarising. If the minimal cygwin environment used to have a PostgreSQL working was established on such
machine,then a good bet is not just to network copy the files between machines, but to tar the installation tree and to
untaron the other side.

Hope it helps,

SLao