Re: recovery of a windows archive in linux

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: recovery of a windows archive in linux
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/13/15 6:37 PM, Guillaume Drolet wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a base backup and archive logs from a Windows 7 PGSQL 9.3
> install. The machine OS disk started to show signs of failure so I
> replaced it and now I want to switch for a Linux system.
>
> My question is: will I be able to play my archive logs and point-in-time
> recover on the Linux machine?
>
> That would spare some time rebuilding a Windows machine, recovering my
> db, and dumping for a Linux box.

No. You can only use a PITR backup on an install that's completely
binary compatible with the installation the backup was taken from. Not
only does the OS have to match, you could actually run into problems
switching to a different CPU architecture (among other things, whether
the architecture is big- or small-endian matters).