Re: ecpg rejects input parameters

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: ecpg rejects input parameters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/09/2015 07:12 AM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> Makes sense.
>
> Yes, it would be great if psql offered a flag for validating syntax.
> Other programming languages do this, for example, bash -n, ruby -c, and
> php -l.

Or pgsanity could take this:

CREATE DATABASE :db;

and convert it into:

CREATE DATABASE db;

before submitting it for syntax checking.

The basic issue is whose syntax are you interested in checking, SQL or
the program that is  creating the SQL. If it is just the SQL end result,
then it needs to rendered down to an actual valid SQL statement. If it
is the program, then it gets complicated in a hurry. Already you have
mentioned psql and ecpg. Then in Postgres there are various procedural
languages that have their own way of creating SQL. Then there are
external languages, for example the one I use a lot  Python. It has its
own method(s) of passing in variable information via DB-API.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com