Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/1/15 1:25 AM, Andrew Gierth wrote:

>   Michael> For an extension that has a single branch compatible with a
>   Michael> set of multiple major versions of Postgres, the cases are
>   Michael> custom values for REGRESS_OPTS and REGRESS depending on the
>   Michael> backend version. I also manipulate on a daily basis the same
>   Michael> set of scripts across many platforms (on Windows as well using
>   Michael> msysgit, and MSVC installation does not have pgxs stuff), so I
>   Michael> would use it to simplify them. It is true that you can already
>   Michael> do that by parsing the output of "pg_config --version",
>
> What _exactly_ would you be doing that you could not already do better
> with $(MAJORVERSION) which is already defined in Makefile.global?

FWIW, I'm currently using this as a poor-man's version of configure, to
deal with some minor changes to function parameters between versions.

I probably would also need to screw around with regression tests but
I've given up on pretty much the whole idea of our regression
methodology and use pgTap instead. I do still run it using the built-in
framework, because of all the other stuff I get. If I had some way to
just over-ride the notion of "diff the output" I'd do that.

If I wasn't using pgTap I'm pretty sure I'd be having fun and games with
cross-version output tweaking.