Re: Why we lost Uber as a user

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Why we lost Uber as a user
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/28/16 10:05 AM, Alex Ignatov wrote:
>> Just curious: what if PostgreSQL supported index that stores "primary
>> key" (or unique key) instead of tids?
>
> You mean IOT like Oracle have?

IIRC, IOT either stores the table in index order, which is something
different.

What Alex is proposing is an index method that stores a datum instead of
a ctid. You would then use that datum to probe a different index to get
the ctid. Or put simply, you have a PK index that contains ctid's, and a
bunch of other indexes that contain a PK value instead of ctid's.

I think it's an idea worth pursuing, but I don't see how you can make it
work with our MVCC system unless we drop the aversion to scanning back
into an index as part of an update.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461