Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a
Дата
Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a  (Alan Young <alany@harleypig.idiglobal.com>)
Re: PL/Perl without shared libperl.a  (Andrew Perrin <aperrin@email.unc.edu>)
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Perrin <andrew_perrin@unc.edu> writes:
> Has anyone got advice on building postgres 7.1 with PL/Perl support
> WITHOUT having one's perl installation built with a shared libperl.a?

Try repeating the Perl build with shared-lib selected and then just
installing the resulting libperl.so beside libperl.a.  However:

> I'm happy enough to build a special libperl.a for postgresql's use, but
> I don't want my general perl build to use it since perl's documentation
> notes a significant performance hit when using a shared libperl.

That advice is doubtless platform-specific, and I think it may well be
horsepucky for Intel-based Linux.  Isn't *all* code built
position-independent on that platform?

I believe you could actually use a non-shared libperl.a on Intel Linux;
just dike out the test for shared-ness in plperl's Makefile.PL.
The reason it's there is we couldn't think of a direct test for
position-independent code, which is the real requirement...