Re: Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16/03/15 13:04, Rui DeSousa wrote:
> Would a parameter to auto terminate long running transactions be a better solution? Terminating the long running
transactionwould allow for the normal vacuuming process to cleanup the deleted records thus avoiding database bloat
withoutintroducing new semantics to Postgres's MVCC. I would also recommend that the default be disabled.

Hmm...

Better per transaction, or even per statement.

If I fire of a query I expect should be completed within 30 seconds,
then I probably don't mind it aborting after 5 minutes.   However, if I
fire of a query that I expect to take between an hour and 3 hours, then
I definitely don't want it aborted after 5 minutes!

It could be that 99.99% of transactions will complete with a minute, but
a small minority might reasonably be expected to take much longer.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Rui DeSousa
Сообщение: Re: Allow "snapshot too old" error, to prevent bloat
От: Etsuro Fujita
Сообщение: Re: EvalPlanQual behaves oddly for FDW queries involving system columns