Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/3/15 7:34 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Definitely no multi-line. If we keep that restriction, couldn't we just
> dedicate one entire line to the error message? ISTM that would be safe.

But we have multiline error messages.  If we put only the first line in
the pid file, then all the tools that build on this will effectively
show users truncated information, which won't be a good experience.  If
we don't put any error message in there, then users or tools will be
more likely to look up the full message somewhere else.