Re: Regarding "Point-in-time Recovery" feature

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Regarding "Point-in-time Recovery" feature
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/23/15 5:39 AM, Saurabh Gupta A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody used online backup feature of postgreSQL? In fact precise
> postgreSQL term is called: "Point-in-time Recovery" (PITR)
> This means enabling following additional options in config:
> ---
> archive_command = on
> archive_command = 'cp %p /usr/local/pgsql/pgDataPITR/wals/%f' # This is
> only example path
> ---
>
> If yes then may I know how it is used and how it impacts database
> performance?

Other than the overhead of the copy itself, it generally doesn't. There
are a very limited number of shortcuts we can take when wal_level is set
to minimal, such as not WAL logging the full contents of data inserted
into a table that was created/truncated in the same transaction, but
generally archiving doesn't impact performance (assuming you keep it
running correctly so pg_xlog doesn't fill up ;)