Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances

От Samuel Smith
Тема Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances
Дата
Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances  (Novák, Petr <novakp@avast.com>)
Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On 02/22/2015 01:53 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:>
 > I'd run a debian based distro (Ubuntu or Debian work well) and use the
 > pg_* commands to create the clusters the same way. Gives you the
 > maximum separation for clients.
 >
 > pg_createcluster
 >
 > Usage: /usr/bin/pg_createcluster [options] <version> <cluster name>
 > [-- <initdb options>]

 >    -u <uid>      cluster owner and superuser (default: 'postgres')
 >    -g <gid>      group for data files (default: primary group of owner)
 >    -d <dir>      data directory (default:
 >                  /var/lib/postgresql/<version>/<cluster name>)
 >    -s <dir>      socket directory (default: /var/run/postgresql for
clusters
 >                  owned by 'postgres', /tmp for other clusters)
 >    -l <dir>      path to desired log file (default:
 >                  /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-<version>-<cluster>.log)
 >    --locale <encoding>
 >                  set cluster locale (default: inherit from environment)
 >    --lc-collate/ctype/messages/monetary/numeric/time <locale>
 >                  like --locale, but only set for a particular category
 >    -e <encoding> Default encoding (default: derived from locale)
 >    -p <port>     port number (default: next free port starting from 5432)
 >    --start       start the cluster after creating it
 >    --start-conf auto|manual|disabled
 >                  Set automatic startup behaviour in start.conf
(default: 'auto')
 >    --createclusterconf=file alternative createcluster.conf to use
 >    --environment=file alternative environment file to use
 >    <initdb options> other options to pass to initdb
 >
 > Just use -u and -d to put it where you want, -l to setup logging and
 > -p to set the port you want.

I am stuck with redhat as the OS so I'll only have initdb. But this is a
good point. I assume there is nothing wrong with having multiple
postgres instances (clusters) all running under a single postgres user
on different ports on the same machine?
But then what is the best way to handle connecting to an individual
cluster  (local only for admin purposes) with psql?  Doesn't look like I
could go by the cluster name alone, but would have to manage (memorize)
connections by port number?

Thanks,
Sam

Сообщение: Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances
Сообщение: Re: Postgres architecture for multiple instances