Re: Substitutes for some Oracle packages

От Arnold, Sandra
Тема Re: Substitutes for some Oracle packages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
DBMS_OUTPUT is used to either display output or write output to a file.  UTL_FILE is used to open a file and then write
datato a file.  Most of the time we use these two packages to create log files from PL/SQL stored procedures/packages.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Sam Mason
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:04 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Substitutes for some Oracle packages

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:53:36PM -0400, Arnold, Sandra wrote:
> We are in the process of migrating from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  One of
> the things that we are needing to find out is what to use in place of
> Oracle supplied functionality such as "DBMS_OUTPUT" and "UTL_FILE".

For those of us who use PG and not Oracle a description of the
functionality you need would help, the artifacts of your current
implementation are less helpful.  That said:

  plpgsql can RAISE NOTICE, which looks similar to DBMS_OUTPUT

  most "untrusted" scripting languages (i.e. plperl or plpython) can
  touch the filesystem, which is what UTL_FILE seems to be about

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/