Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/02/15 13:52, Mathieu Basille wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL users,
>
> I am posting here a question that I initially asked on the PostGIS
> list [1], where I was advised to try here too (I will keep both lists
> updated about the developments on this issue).
>
> I am currently planning to set up a PostgreSQL + PostGIS instance for
> my lab. Turns out I believe this would be useful for the whole center,
> so that I'm now considering setting up the server for everyone—if
> interest is shared of course. At the moment, I am however struggling
> with what would be required in terms of hardware, and of course, the
> cost will depend on that—at the end of the day, it's really a matter
> of money well spent. I have then a series of questions/remarks, and I
> would welcome any feedback from people with existing experience on
> setting up a multi-user PostGIS server. I'm insisting on the PostGIS
> aspect, since the most heavy requests will be GIS requests
> (intersections, spatial queries, etc.). However, people with similar
> PostgreSQL setup may have very relevant comments about their own
> configuration.
>
> * My own experience about servers is rather limited: I used PostGIS
> quite a bit, but only on a desktop, with only 2 users. The desktop was
> quite good (quad-core Xeon, 12 Go RAM, 500 GB hd), running Debian, and
> we never had any performance issue (although some queries were rather
> long, but still acceptable).
>
> * The use case I'm envisioning would be (at least in the foreseeable
> future):
> - About 10 faculty users (which means potentially a little bit more
> students using it); I would have hard time considering more than 4
> concurrent users;
> - Data would primarily involve a lot (hundreds/thousands) of high
> resolution (spatial and temporal) raster and vector maps, possibly
> over large areas (Florida / USA / continental), as well as potentially
> millions of GPS records (animals individually monitored);
> - Queries will primarily involve retrieving points/maps over given
> areas/time, as well as intersecting points over environmental layers
> [from what I understand, a lot of I/O, with many intermediary tables
> involved]; other use cases will involve working with steps, i.e. the
> straight line segment connecting two successive locations, and
> intersecting them with environmental layers;
>
> * I couldn't find comprehensive or detailed guidelines on-line about
> hardware, but from what I could see, it seems that memory wouldn't be
> the main issue, but the number of cores would be (one core per
> database connection if I'm not mistaken). At the same time, we want to
> make sure that the experience is smooth for everyone... I was advised
> on the PostGIS list to give a look at pgpool (however, UNIX only).
>
> * Is there a difference in terms of possibilities, performance and
> usability between a Linux-based and a MS-based server (from the user
> perspective)? My center is unfortunately MS-centered, and existing
> [...]
When I looked at tuning options for PostgreSQL, I found that there were
limitations mentioned for Microsoft O/S's.

I get the general impression from my reading from multiple sources over
the years, that if you are serious about performance on a server, then
you should prefer Linux to Microsoft.  Note that most servers run Linux,
and that over 95% of the top 500 super computers runs Linux - which is
rather telling about the perception of Microsoft's performance.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Bill Moran
Сообщение: Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server
От: Paul Jungwirth
Сообщение: Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server