Re: Survey: Max TPS you've ever seen

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Survey: Max TPS you've ever seen
Дата
Re: Survey: Max TPS you've ever seen
Список pgsql-performance
On 10/02/15 10:29, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 10/02/15 08:30, Luis Antonio Dias de Sá Junior wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A survay: with pgbench using TPS-B, what is the maximum TPS you're
>> ever seen?
>>
>> For me: 12000 TPS.
>>
>> --
>> Luis Antonio Dias de Sá Junior
> Important to specify:
>
> 1. O/S
> 2. version of PostgreSQL
> 3. PostgreSQL configuration
> 4. hardware configuration
> 5. anything else that might affect performance
>
> I suspect that Linux will out perform Microsoft on the same hardware,
> and optimum configuration for both O/S's...

Yes, exactly - and also the pgbench parameters:

- scale
- number of clients
- number of threads
- statement options (prepared or simple etc)
- length of test

We've managed to get 40000 to 60000 TPS on some pretty serious hardware:

- 60 core, 1 TB ram
- 16 SSD + 4 PCIe SSD storage
- Ubuntu 14.04
- Postgres 9.4 (beta and rc)

...with Postgres parameters customized:

- checkpoint_segments 1920
- checkpoint_completion_target 0.8
- wal_buffers  256MB
- wal_sync_method open_datasync
- shared_buffers 10GB
- max_connections 600
- effective_io_concurrency 10

..and finally pgbench parameters

- scale 2000
- clients 32, 64, 128, 256 (best results at 32 and 64 generally)
- threads = 1/2 client number
- prepared option
- 10 minute test run time

Points to note, we did *not* disable fsync or prevent buffers being
actually written (common dirty tricks in benchmarks). However, as others
have remarked - raw numbers mean little. Pgbench is very useful for
testing how tuning configurations are helping (or not) for a particular
hardware and software setup, but is less useful for answering the
question "how many TPS can postgres do"...

Regards

Mark