Re: Perl coding error in msvc build system?

От Brar Piening
Тема Re: Perl coding error in msvc build system?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am 23.01.2015 um 09:17 schrieb Abhijit Menon-Sen:
> At 2014-06-03 22:30:50 -0400, peter_e@gmx.net wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether the following coding actually detects any errors:
>>
>> Solution.pm:
>>
>>      open(P, "cl /? 2>&1 |") || die "cl command not found";
> Since nobody with a Windows system has commented, I'm just writing to
> say that from a Perl perspective, I agree with your analysis and the
> patch looks perfectly sensible.

I can confirm it on my Windows system.

Calling build from a console without nmake in the path I always get:
Unable to determine Visual Studio version: The nmake version could not
be determined. at src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 63.

This means that the following construct in VSObjectFactory.pm doesn't
have the desired effect.        open(P, "nmake /? 2>&1 |")          || croak
"Unable to determine Visual Studio version: The nmake command wasn't
found.";

On the other hand complicacy  is in the eye of the beholder.
Perl constructs like the following get quite a few wtf's
(http://www.osnews.com/story/19266/WTFs_m) from a simple-minded person
like me.
$? >> 8 == 0 or die "cl command not found";

However as it fixes a confirmed problem and as maintainance of perl code
is an issue of its own, please go ahead.

Regards,
Brar