Re: Proposal: knowing detail of config files via SQL

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Proposal: knowing detail of config files via SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/22/2015 02:09 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> ​The proposal provides for SQL access to all possible sources of
> variable value setting and, ideally, a means of ordering them in
> priority order, so that a search for TimeZone would return two records,
> one for postgresql.auto.conf and one for postgresql.conf - which are
> numbered 1 and 2 respectively - so that in looking at that result if the
> postgresql.auto.conf entry were to be removed the user would know that
> what the value is in postgresql.conf that would become active.
> Furthermore, if postgresql.conf has a setting AND there is a mapping in
> an #included file that information would be accessible via SQL as well.

Wow.  Um, I can't imagine any use for that which would justify the
overhead.  And I'm practically the "settings geek".

Note that a single file can have multiple copies of the same GUC, plus
there's GUCs set interactively, as well as in the user and database
properties.  So you're looking at a lot of different "versions".

I think you're in a position of needing to interest someone else in this
issue enough to produce a patch to argue about.  I'm not seeing a lot of
interest in it here.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.