Re: proposal: lock_time for pg_stat_database

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: proposal: lock_time for pg_stat_database
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/16/15 11:35 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>     On 1/16/15 11:00 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         some time ago, I proposed a lock time measurement related to query. A main issue was a method, how to show
thisinformation. Today proposal is little bit simpler, but still useful. We can show a total lock time per database in
pg_stat_databasestatistics. High number can be signal about lock issues.

>     Would this not use the existing stats mechanisms? If so, couldn't we do this per table? (I realize that won't
handleall cases; we'd still need a "lock_time_other" somewhere).

> it can use a current existing stats mechanisms
>
> I afraid so isn't possible to assign waiting time to table - because it depends on order

Huh? Order of what?

>     Also, what do you mean by 'lock'? Heavyweight? We already have some visibility there. What I wish we had was some
wayto know if we're spending a lot of time in a particular non-heavy lock. Actually measuring time probably wouldn't
makesense but we might be able to count how often we fail initial acquisition or something.

> now, when I am thinking about it, lock_time is not good name - maybe "waiting lock time" (lock time should not be
interesting,waiting is interesting) - it can be divided to some more categories - in GoodData we use Heavyweight,
pages,and others categories.

So do you see this somehow encompassing locks other than heavyweight locks? Because I think that's the biggest need
here.Basically, something akin to TRACE_POSTGRESQL_LWLOCK_WAIT_START() that doesn't depend on dtrace.

От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: proposal: row_to_array function
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position