Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/13/15 9:42 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> As an example one of the the strategy
> could be if the table size is X MB and there are 8 workers, then
> divide the work as X/8 MB for each worker (which I have currently
> used in patch) and another could be each worker does scan
> 1 block at a time and then check some global structure to see which
> next block it needs to scan, according to me this could lead to random
> scan.  I have read that some other databases also divide the work
> based on partitions or segments (size of segment is not very clear).

Long-term I think we'll want a mix between the two approaches. Simply doing something like blkno % num_workers is going
tocause imbalances, but trying to do this on a per-block basis seems like too much overhead.

Also long-term, I think we also need to look at a more specialized version of parallelism at the IO layer. For example,
duringan index scan you'd really like to get IO requests for heap blocks started in the background while the backend is
focusedon the mechanics of the index scan itself. While this could be done with the stuff Robert has written I have to
wonderif it'd be a lot more efficient to use fadvise or AIO. Or perhaps it would just be better to deal with an entire
indexpage (remembering TIDs) and then hit the heap.

But I agree with Robert; there's a lot yet to be done just to get *any* kind of parallel execution working before we
startthinking about how to optimize it.