Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13/01/15 13:24, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 12.1.2015 22:33, Petr Jelinek wrote:

>>> This version does AlterSequence differently and better. Didn't attach
>>> the gapless sequence again as that one is unchanged.
>>>

>> And another version, separated into patch-set of 3 patches.
>> First patch contains the seqam patch itself, not many changes there,
>> mainly docs/comments related. What I wrote in the previous email for
>> version 3 still applies.
>
> I did a review of the first part today - mostly by reading through the
> diff. I plan to do a bit more thorough testing in a day or two. I'll
> also look at the two (much smaller) patches.

Thanks!

> comments/questions/general nitpicking:
>
> (1) Why treating empty string as equal to 'local'? Isn't enforcing the
>      actual value a better approach?

Álvaro mentioned on IM also, I already changed it to saner normal GUC
with 'local' as default value in my working copy

> (2) NITPICK: Maybe we could use access_method in the docs (instead of
>      sequence_access_method), as the 'sequence' part is clear from the
>      context?

Yes.

> (3) Why index_reloptions / sequence_reloptions when both do exactly the
>      same thing (call to common_am_reloptions)? I'd understand this if
>      the patch(es) then change the sequence_reloptions() but that's not
>      happening. Maybe that's expected to happen?

That's leftover from the original design where AM was supposed to call
this, since this is not exposed to AM anymore I think it can be single
function now.

> (4) DOCS: Each sequence can only use one access method at a time.
>
>      Does that mean a sequence can change the access method during it's
>      lifetime? My understanding is that the AM is fixed after creating
>      the sequence?

Oh, I forgot to add ALTER SEQUENCE USING into docs, you can change AM
even though you probably don't want to do it often, but for migrations
it's useful.

> (8) check_default_seqam without a transaction
>
>   * If we aren't inside a transaction, we cannot do database access so
>   * cannot verify the name.    Must accept the value on faith.
>
>      In which situation this happens? Wouldn't it be better to simply
>      enforce the transaction and fail otherwise?

Reading postgresql.conf during startup, I don't think we want to fail in
that scenario ;)

Services