Re: How to analyze a slowdown in 9.3.5?

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: How to analyze a slowdown in 9.3.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/09/2015 07:52 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 9.1.2015 23:14, Michael Nolan wrote:
>> I'm running 9.3.5 on a virtual machine with 5 cores and 24 GB of
>> memory.  Disk is on a SAN.
>>
>> I have a task that runs weekly that processes possibly as many as
>> 120 months worth of data, one month at a time. Since moving to 9.3.5
>> (from 8.2!!) the average time for a month has been 3 minutes or less.
>
> Congrats to migrating to a supported version!
>
> Please, comparison of the configuration used on 8.2 and 9.3.5 would be
> helpful (i.e. how you've updated the config on the new version?).
>
>> However, when this job ran this Tuesday, it ran fine for a number of
>> months, but then started slowing down dramatically, 300 minutes for
>> one month and then 167 minutes for the next. I stopped and restarted
>> postgresql, the next block also ran really slow (157 minutes.) I
>> then rebooted the server and the remaining blocks ran at the usual
>> fast speed again, so restarting postgresql didn't fix the problem
>> but rebooting the server did.
>
> What amounts of data are we talking about? Gigabytes? Tens of gigabytes?
>

>> Looking at the logs, I see queries with a function call that would
>> normally take no more than 100-200 milliseconds, usually far less,
>> that were taking 100 seconds or longer. This function gets called
>> thousands of times for each month, so that appears to be one source
>> of the slowdown.
>
> But why are the functions taking so much longer? Are they eating CPU,
> I/O or are generally waiting for something (e.g. locks)?
>

>> I don't suspect a memory leak in the calling program (in php),
>> because since moving to this server in December this weekly task has
>> run several times over the same range of months, making pretty much
>> the same function calls each time. I also ran the entire range
>> several times during testing.
>>
>> One change made to the server since the previous week's run was that
>> I moved up to the latest Centos kernel (Linux version
>> 3.10.0-123.13.2.el7.x86_64).
>
> And what was the previous kernel version?
>
> However, if it worked fine after rebooting the server, it may not be a
> kernel issue (unless it somehow depends on uptime). Is there something
> in the /var/log/messages?

At first, I was thinking, lots of activity within one transaction was messing up the stats and the planner started
gettingit wrong.  But a reboot wouldn't fix that.  Would it?  What if the reboot rolled back the db, would that stats
makesense again?

I have a process that makes a big temp table (with indexes).  After its built if I dont run a quick analyze on it the
plannernever uses the indexes right.

Another thing I can think of is never commiting.  If it started collecting lots and lots of row versions it could get
slowerand slower.  But, then, you'd see the same thing on 8.2, so, that's probably not it.  Do you have any "Idle in
transaction"connections?

-Andy

Сообщение: Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication
Сообщение: Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication