Re: PostgreSQL service account on Windows 7: Use a virtual account

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: PostgreSQL service account on Windows 7: Use a virtual account
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/17/2014 05:35 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> The PostgreSQL installer now uses the NETWORKSERVICE account on Windows
>> by default (as of 9.2), instead of creating a "postgres" account with
>> username and password. Which is a big improvement to usability.
> Using NETWORKSERVICE is not cool as it is created by the system and
> may be shared by some other processes. I am not sure about the
> security implications but this sounds weird and should be avoided if
> possible.

(Resurrecting this discussion as I missed your reply)

Using NETWORK SERVICE is not ideal. Unfortunately, prior to Windows 7
the platform doesn't have a sane way to create service accounts. Users
are expected to create a service account with a password, know what that
password is, and be able to supply that password again when later
required by other installers.

The alternative, which I advocated in the past, is to generate a random
password to use as the service account password, and store that service
account password in the Registry using key only readable by the
Administrators group and SYSTEM user. So our installer(s) could read the
service account password when required and the user doesn't have to deal
with the WTFery of having a system "postgres" password that's different
to the postgres user account password. This is more secure than using
NETWORK SERVICE, not less, but I wasn't able to convince anyone that we
should do it.

Using NETWORK SERVICE is less bad than what we had before - and users
can still create a service account if they want, the default just
changed to one that won't cause endless install problems and confusion.

At this point I think we can just not care for older Windows versions
and focus on doing it right on Windows 7 and above, which has sensible
passwordless service accounts.