More Norwegian trouble

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема More Norwegian trouble
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
There was a long thread on the trouble that the Windows "Norwegian
(Bokmål)" locale name causes, because the locale name is not pure ASCII.
That was fixed by mapping "Norwegian (Bokmål)" to a pure-ASCII alias of
it, "norwegian-bokmal".
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140915230427.2486.29437@wrigleys.postgresql.org)

I just upgraded my Windows toolchain, and as a leftover from developing
that patch still had my locale set to Norwegian (Bokmål). To my
surprise, after a rebuild, initdb failed:

FATAL:  new collation (Norwegian_Norway.1252) is incompatible with the
collation  of the template database (norwegian-bokmal_Norway.1252)
HINT:  Use the same collation as in the template database, or use
template0 as t emplate.
STATEMENT:  CREATE DATABASE template0 IS_TEMPLATE = true
ALLOW_CONNECTIONS = fal se;

It works when I pass a locale to initdb explicitly; it only breaks if
the system locale is set to "Norwegian (Bokmål)", and I let initdb to
use the default.

At first I suspected Noah's commit
6fdba8ceb071a3512d5685f1cd4f971ab4d562d1, but reverting that made no
difference.

So unfortunately, that patch that I committed earlier did not completely
fix this issue. It looks like setlocale() is quite brain-dead on what
the canonical spelling of that locale is:

setlocale(LC_COLLATE, NULL) -> "Norwegian (Bokmål)_Norway"

but:

setlocale(LC_COLLATE, "norwegian-bokmal_Norway") -> "Norwegian_Norway")

Apparently the behavior changed when I upgraded the toolchain. IIRC, I
used to use "Microsoft Windows SDK 7.1", with "Microsoft Visual C++
Compilers 2010 Standard Edition" that came with it. I'm now using
"Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 Update 4", with
"Microsoft Visual C++ Compilers 2010 SP Standard". I don't know what
part of the upgrade broke this. Could also have been something else; I
don't keep track of my build environment that carefully.

Now, what should we do about this? I'd like to know if others are seeing
this, with whatever compiler versions you are using. In particular, I
wonder if the builds included in the EnterpriseDB installers are
experiencing this.

Perhaps the nicest fix would be to change the mapping code to map the
problematic locale name to "Norwegian_Norway" instead of
"norwegian-bokmal". That's assuming that it is in fact the same locale,
and that it's accepted on all supported Windows versions. Another option
is to also map "Norwegian_Norway" to "norwegian-bokmal_Norway", even
though "Norwegian_Norway" doesn't contain any ASCII characters and
wouldn't be a problem as such. That seems like a safer option.

It would be good to do something about this before the next minor
release, as the original mapping commit has not been released yet.

- Heikki

Сообщение: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Сообщение: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers