Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/05/2015 09:06 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I wasn't clear on my opinion here. I think I understood what Josh meant,
> but I don't think we should do it. Seems like unnecessary nannying of
> the DBA. Let's just mention in the manual that if you set
> wal_keep_segments higher than [insert formula here], you will routinely
> have more WAL in pg_xlog than what checkpoint_wal_size is set to.
>
>> That seems a unrealistic goal. I've seen setups that have set
>> checkpoint_segments intentionally, and with good reasoning, north of
>> 50k.
>
> So? I don't see how that's relevant.
>
>> Neither wal_keep_segments, nor failing archive_commands nor replication
>> slot should have an influence on checkpoint pacing.
>
> Agreed.

Oh, right, slots can also cause the log to increase in size.  And we've
already had the discussion about hard limits, which is maybe a future
feature and not part of this patch.

Can we figure out a reasonable formula?  My thinking is 50% for
wal_keep_segments, because we need at least 50% of the wals to do a
reasonable spread checkpoint.   If max_wal_size is 1GB, and
wal_keep_segments is 1.5GB, what would happen?  What if
wal_keep_segments is 0.9GB?

I need to create a fake benchmark for this ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.