Re: Final Patch for GROUPING SETS

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Final Patch for GROUPING SETS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/31/14, 3:05 PM, Noah Misch wrote:

>> >  Noah> Suppose one node orchestrated all sorting and aggregation.
>> >
>> >Well, that has the downside of making it into an opaque blob, without
>> >actually gaining much.
> The opaque-blob criticism is valid.  As for not gaining much, well, the gain I
> sought was to break this stalemate.  You and Tom have expressed willingness to
> accept the read I/O multiplier of the CTE approach.  You and I are willing to
> swallow an architecture disruption, namely a tuplestore acting as a side
> channel between executor nodes.  Given your NACK, I agree that it fails to
> move us toward consensus and therefore does not gain much.  Alas.

I haven't read the full discussion in depth, but is what we'd want here is the ability to feed tuples to more than one
nodesimultaneously? That would allow things like

GroupAggregate
--> Sort(a) \

That would allow the planner to trade off things like total memory consumption vs IO.

Сообщение: Re: Using 128-bit integers for sum, avg and statistics aggregates
Сообщение: Re: Using 128-bit integers for sum, avg and statistics aggregates