double vacuum in initdb

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема double vacuum in initdb
Дата
Re: double vacuum in initdb  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
initdb currently does
   PG_CMD_PUTS("ANALYZE;\nVACUUM FULL;\nVACUUM FREEZE;\n");

FREEZE is now part of FULL, so this seems redundant.  Also, ANALYZE can
be run as part of VACUUM.  So this could be
   PG_CMD_PUTS("VACUUM FULL ANALYZE;\n");

There has been some concerns about time spent in initdb in test suites,
which is why I looked into this.  In testing, this change can shave off
between 10% and 20% of the run time of initdb, so it would be kind of
useful.

The last change to this was

commit 66cd8150636e48a8f143560136a25ec5eb355d8c
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Mon Nov 29 03:05:03 2004 +0000
   Clean up initdb's error handling so that it prints something more   useful than just \'failed\' when there's a
problem. Per gripe from   Chris Albertson.

   In an unrelated change, use VACUUM FULL; VACUUM FREEZE; rather than   a single VACUUM FULL FREEZE command, to
respondto my worries of a   couple days ago about the reliability of doing this in one go.

That was a long time ago.  Is that still applicable?