Re: #postgresql report

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: #postgresql report
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

How about (at least) a per object locale setting as a goal?

Have a system table that tracks it.  The system table could be flexible
enough to describe objects of any sort (tables, stored procedures...)
and perhaps be extended to columns eventually.

I can't think of any time I wanted more than one locale in a single
table (and think of how confusing it could become to have 19 different
locales in a single table, expecially if some of the users were not
aware of them).  But sometimes, a different locale for different tables
can be very useful [e.g. processing orders from different countries].
Actually, I am used to having different codepages, but I imagine that
maps to different locales directly.  It seems that the inheritance of
PostgreSQL might be nice to implement this feature in a natural way.

E.g.
NorwegianAddress inherits from Address, but sets the codepage for
Norway.

And things like FrenchAddress would know about 'Rue' instead of
'Street', etc.