Re: 9.4 recommendations for archive_command vs. replication slots

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: 9.4 recommendations for archive_command vs. replication slots
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 11/04/2014 01:38 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 11/04/2014 10:20 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, bluntly, our replication docs should be taken out behind the barn
>>> with an axe.  They tell you more about the development history of
>>> PostgreSQL than they tell you about how to replicate.
>>
>> That's true, but can we come to a consensus of what the preferred
>> advertised method should be?
>
> We should do this tutorial-style, taking things through increasingly
> complex replication setups:
>
> 1) simple two-server with pg_basebackup, no archiving, no slots
>     (i.e. "replication in 5 minutes")
> 2) replication with archiving
> 3) replication with replication slots
>     including "wal_keep_segments vs. replication slots"
> 4) synchronous replication
> 5) cascading replication
> 6) archiving-only replication
> 7) replication performance tuning
>
> I could write this if I *don't* need to do it as a patch against the
> existing docs.

Also, specifically, having replication slots doesn't make having a
shared archive an obsolete approach.  In many cases, if the replicas are
offline for a while you don't want to burden the master with helping
them catch up.  So its an equal alternative to replication slots.

What's significantly less useful now is wal_keep_segments.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.