Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure
Дата
Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure  (Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>)
Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> writes:
> Since Pg's FUNCTION already seems to take on both roles, so overloading the
> meaning of the FUNCTION keyword, like what a C function or a Perl sub does,
> where returning VOID means procedure, then what is being added by a distinct
> PROCEDURE?

You might care to go back and re-read some of the extensive prior
threads about this, but to my mind the main thing that would justify
inventing a separate PROCEDURE facility is if procedures were to execute
outside the transaction system, so that they could start and stop
transactions for themselves.  This is unlike a function which
necessarily executes inside an already-running transaction.  Of course
a lot of questions would need to be answered about error-handling
behavior and so forth, but that's a capability that a LOT of people
have asked for.

> Or is the VOID-returning FUNCTION going to be deprecated or
> discouraged at the same time?

Certainly not.