Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.

От Tony Theodore
Тема Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 02/10/2013, at 6:49 PM, Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:

>The reason for that is that in PostgreSQL there is no time zone
information stored along with a "timestamp with time zone",
it is stored in UTC.

That seems unintuitive. What is the difference between timestamp without time zone and timestamp with time zone? I was expecting to have the time zone stored in the field. For example one row might be in UTC  but the other row might be in my local time.

Maybe the question I need to ask is "how can I store the time zone along with the timestamp"

>That is because AT TIME ZONE returns a "timestamp without time zone"

Also seems counterintutive but I guess I can aways convert it. I am just not getting the right offset when I convert. That's what's puzzling.

Here's a handy blog post from Josh Berkus about timestamps:

Cheers,

Tony

От: Tim Uckun
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.
От: Tim Uckun
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with and without timezone conversion confusion.