Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/30/14, 5:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
>> On 10/30/14, 4:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I think it should be.  You should not have to have either prove or
>>> IPC::Run (or, IIRC, even Perl) in order to do make check-world.
>
>> Could configure detect if we have IPC::Run? ISTM it'd be nice to make this automatic instead of requiring it to be
specificallyenabled.

> The general philosophy we have about features enabled by configure is
> exactly opposite to that: we do not for example look for Perl and then
> build or not build plperl dependent on that.  If you want plperl, you
> tell us so, and then we either build it or fail because we can't.
>
> You could argue that test coverage is different from features of the
> completed package, but I don't really buy that.

If our policy is that tests are there primarily for developers then I agree with you.

If not, then would we be OK with make check being a no-op unless you'd configured with --enable-make-check?

Making this something you have to enable will seriously limit the number of people running the TAP tests, simply
becausefew will know to enable them.